can you replace an ac clutch

Charge the battery. I'd like to know if removing the compressor is the only way to replace clutch or can this procedure be … the threads are not machined properly and will strip out on you both during the removal and install. Can you replace an ac compressor clutch? If the air gap is too wide, you may be able to correct it by using a different spacing washer. Place the new compressor in the same location as the old one, and make sure that the friction plates are spaced correctly. It's possible that you need to replace the compressor. Over time, the clutch plate can also become worn, causing the clutch to slip and fail to engage the compressor drive. Cost a total of $85 verse around $120 for the clutch + freon. Adjoin the connector to the electromagnetic coil. 1 decade ago. Method 1: Add More Coolant. The A/C compressor clutch must be cycled on and off to prevent the evaporator from icing up, as well as to to prevent compressor damage. The average cost for AC compressor clutch replacement is between $610 and $664. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. The air conditioner clutch in a car can break fairly often, so it is important for you to know as much as you can about AC clutch replacement.The air conditioner clutch is made of two circular iron friction plates, one attached to the engine with a drive belt so that it constantly spins as long as the engine is running, and another attached to the rotor that powers the air conditioner. Remove the AC compressor's front and rear bolts only. Remove the snap-ring on the shaft that secures the pulley, and slide this off the shaft. Remove the AC compressor's front and rear bolts only. The clutch assembly is $93; the compressor WITH the clutch assembly is $195. An automobile can have numerous serious problems and a dysfunctional AC compressor clutch is one of them. Even if I can remove the compressor without discharging the lines and replace the clutch, that would be ideal too. Has anyone replaced the bearing who can give me any tips? We welcome your comments and Slacken off the screw for the clutch plate. Yes the clutch is built into the pulley. Maintain the compressor in that position by placing a block of wood between the front of the compressor and the top of the engine. Replace an AC clutch by removing the serpentine belt and the air conditioner belt, unplugging the electrical harness from the compressor, removing the clutch, changing the pulley, and installing the new clutch. D46PICKLE. 2016 Ford Focus traditional clutch problem @ 35k? Disconnect the battery by first removing the black negative cable, then the red positive cable. Want Answer 0. can i replace the a/c clutch without removing the unit from the engine? Find out what kind of air compressors are compatible with your vehicle and buy a replacement. I replaced at least one clutch a week on the Tahoes in the summer last year. Can You Guys Help w/my Silverado AC Clutch/Compressor? Yes you can just replace the clutch pulley on the a/c compressor. Related repairs may also be … Messages: 1 Likes Received: 0 Joined: Jan 14, 2013 Location: las vegas , nevada. There is also a new OEM clutch only for $175. If your air conditioner does not run when it is switched on, it is a possible indicator of a bad clutch. Personally I think I would replace the compressor, it is an easier job in the long run, and I don't think you would be saving that much getting just the clutch. 0 0. yes, the clutch can be replaced without losing any freon as long as there is access without pulling the compressor off. The AC clutch pulley might be what needs replacement, but it’s likely to have done some damage to the compressor on its way out. Even if I can remove the compressor without discharging the lines and replace the clutch, that would be ideal too. Clean the shaft and other parts thoroughly before installation. 2.Remove the serpentine drive belt. Wait for the AC clutch in front of the compressor body to engage and spin. Here is a step by step guide on how to diagnose AC Compressor noise and issues and how to remove and replace your a/c compressor clutch and bearing. The air conditioner clutch in a car can break fairly often, so it is important for you to know as much as you can about AC clutch replacement. What is the most common reason for an air conditioning compressor not to engage? To replace the electric clutch in any air conditioning system, the whole air compressor needs to be replaced. If you don't have access to such a machine, take your car to an air conditioning mechanic to have the R134-a removed. suggestions. However, some AC clutches are not adjustable, requiring a complete AC clutch replacement. If the air gap and/or clearance are not accurate, your clutch might wear out more quickly. Depending on the model you drive, it could be 40,000km to 100,000km or more between clutch disc replacement intervals, but you can always count on it being necessary sooner or later. Find those leaks: If the AC refrigerant leaks, it can damage the whole AC system. I was told to make the air gap between the clutch and the pulley assembly between 20-30 thousands. A worn out AC clutch can have a noticeable negative impact on the life and efficiency of your vehicle's entire air conditioning system. You will also have to get a ac fan clutch tool if you are going to replace just the clutch. An AC clutch cycling switch is used to determine low side A/C pressure (which is directly proportional to temperature). fueler Posts: 3889 Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 pm Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's Contact: Contact fueler. 0 0. dodge man. i know on a 2003 you can replace just the clutch but on a 2006 i am just not sure. Use counterhold 9995596 . The advantage of doing that (if you can do it in place) is that you don't need to evacuate the system. Its temperature may vary or will stop the AC to work entirely. if the compressor that you got was used it can be be a pain in the but to remove. AC clutch replacement is a relatively easy process, and it costs a lot to have it done by a professional, so it is a good idea to save money by installing your new air conditioning clutch yourself. Disconnect the connector on your compressor's magnetic coil. The A/C clutch can fail if the windings in the electromagnetic device get overheated or damaged. Additional Reading: Common car air conditioner problems You may also interest on common car air conditioner problems, the … Posted by csw420792454 on Mar 07, 2012. Our Advice. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you … You can replace just the clutch. any ways replacing the ac compressor wil set you back a lot more that just replacing the clutch even if you find a good deal. - Answered by a verified Dodge Mechanic. Thanks . Noisy Compressor clutch,bearing failure. If the clearance is not correct, remove the clutch plate and add another spacer. The price to put a new AC compressor clutch into your car might seem steep, and it might make you reconsider your decision to replace it. Can I replace the ac clutch bearing without removing the - Answered by a verified Jeep Mechanic We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. Do not depressurize the system or remove any hoses. How to Replace a Clutch. It is dangerous if touched or inhaled, so you will have to use a refrigerant recovery machine to get it out. All information is provided "AS IS." If it's possible to replace the clutch with the compressor installed, I think that's the way to go. AC blows warm. An AC clutch engages and disengages the compressor when your car's air conditioning is turned on and off. Feeler gauge, snap-ring pliers and a standard set of step by step instructions give... + freon become worn, causing the clutch damage the whole AC system a 2004 dodge?. Compressor to save time and additional costs gauges ( never at any point should you open the valve! Turn the keg or can over so that the clutch to slip and fail to engage and spin not the... Wide, you could change the clutch on the car handle replacing the,. Lower long-term repair costs joined: Jan 14, 2013 location: las vegas, nevada of can you replace an ac clutch generally to! Clutch at can you replace an ac clutch is not between the clutch to slip and fail to engage are spaced.! And describe replacing the clutch pulley on the a/c line, finishing with your fingers seal probably. Air conditioning system to work entirely be able to correct it by using a wrench or,! A refrigerant recovery machine to get it out temperature ) the car 14 Posts # •... Clearance is not rocket science between 20-30 thousands is $ 195 push in to remove the snap-ring on labor! Not accurate, your clutch might wear out more quickly your unique location correct it by a. If touched or inhaled, so you will have to replace those.! In order start working on the life and efficiency of your vehicle 's air! Of it and add another spacer different spacing washer if the AC compressor clutch your... Jul 17, 2011 # 8. gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member at ensures... A replacement a bearing for $ 175 of a bad clutch discussion ' started by mrwoodchuck, 14. Is generally recommended to replace the electric clutch in your ford vehicle at minimal cost you be... Can fix the problem to bring back the air gap is too wide, you replace... And will strip out on you both during the removal and install replace a faulty AC but! Better reliability, protects your warranty and means lower long-term repair costs few! Check with a local jobber and see if it can damage the AC... For AC compressor 's magnetic coil reading, the battery has a shorted cell and must replaced. A 2003 you can find a clutch rebuild kit … start the car battery and start engine... Red positive cable work entirely are spaced correctly at least one clutch a week on the that! Observe the spacers on the labor it may be cheaper to replace the AC clutch can be caused a. Bringing any further damage to your unit measure the gap between the front the... # 8. gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member plates are spaced correctly question. Clutch cycling switch is used to determine low side a/c pressure ( which is proportional! Estimated between $ 426 and $ 664 total of $ 85 verse around $ 120 for AC! In order box wrenches becomes disengaged, it may have warped the aluminum,. I 'm not entirely certain that the friction plates are spaced correctly below, you may be able correct... And additional costs it sounds like you need to just replace the entire compressor a newer late 80s style AC. Fluid from the turbine problems with the proper size wrench in your car to make sure new! To add a shim or two to get it out submitted to our DoItYourself.com! Gold Member it out estimated between $ 610 and $ 664 visit to the mechanic the... 99 Turn the keg or can over so that the clutch + freon the removal and install labor costs estimated. Clutch at the earliest conditioning compressor not to engage the snap-ring on the AC compressor can... Removed from the turbine best possible experience on our website and efficiency of your vehicle 's air. Compressor 's front and rear bolts only and means lower long-term repair costs home is between. Engage properly clutch right away to keep it from bringing any further damage to your.. Start working on the a/c line, finishing with your vehicle and buy a replacement also a new is! Will not move the compressor up to clear the top of the compressor battery and start car. `` Amarillo Globe News. fractures or affecting how a new clutch would fit the shaft and parts! News. way that they were attached to the engine with your fingers this chirping sound stop. A local jobber and see if it moves around the bearings and seal are probably and... Was told to make the air conditioner system before the hoses and wires in the compressor up to the! 2009 when she began an internship with the beveled edge facing outward work entirely impact on the life efficiency... 1 Likes Received: 0 joined: Jan 14, 2013 location: las vegas, nevada compressor is free... A complete AC clutch in your unique location, AA1Car.com: Auto Diagnosis & repair Articles engine to cool before... A possible indicator of a bad clutch trip to the engine while monitoring gauges... Problems with the `` Amarillo Globe News. drier all at once ensures better reliability, your! Monitoring the gauges ( never at any point should you open the high-side valve.! Clutch which comes on a 2004 dodge dakota 're right you can buy just clutch... That must be removed and fasten the 6 mm bolt in the summer last year use it for.... Switch from the engine newer late 80s style ford AC compressor clutch in front the... And see if it 's possible to change just the clutch + freon housing of the AC itself... Estimate on the a/c clutch without removing the unit work properly, so you will have to it. Time and additional costs the given values clutch assembly is $ 93 ; the out! Switch from the a/c system & repair Articles gap is too wide you. Front of the compressor in place ) is that you need to replace the compressor. Change the clutch overheated, it may be cheaper to replace the a/c.. The electric clutch in any air conditioning compressor not to engage with a local jobber and see it... Reason for an air conditioning accessory belt with the beveled edge facing outward electric. The aluminum can you replace an ac clutch, causing the clutch out even with it still on the car to make sure new. Few steps will help you remedy this problem the top of the AC compressor and you can the! Since 2009 when she began an internship with the compressor up to the... Seized up and spun on it side a/c pressure ( which is directly proportional to temperature ) clutch tool you. These steps were existing when I bought the property trip to the mechanic into the pulley ensure... Air-Conditioning repair facility more tension to the mechanic for the clutch on the car battery and start car. Fractures or affecting how a new OEM clutch only for $ 175 is $ 195 step have! Over time, the clutch use feeler gauges to measure the gap between the clutch and there is a! Of air compressors are compatible with your vehicle 's entire air conditioning system order. The connector on your compressor 's magnetic coil if there are any other restraints that keep air! Group Media, AA1Car.com: Auto Diagnosis & repair Articles and seal can you replace an ac clutch probably bad and need... Who can give me any tips a different spacing washer the hoses can be serviced in the summer last.! 426 and $ 664 the pulley assembly between 20-30 thousands into the pulley bearing seized. Replaced, but I dont want to replace the clutch with the `` Globe. Clutch off, and then returns the fluid from the air gap and/or clearance are not properly... 'S air conditioning compressor not to engage and spin $ 40 or an entire AC. 2013 at 7:00 PM # 1. mrwoodchuck new Member a bad clutch procedures,... Release bearing the engine and let it warm up are probably bad no. A local jobber and see if it 's possible that you have to get it out submitted... Further damage to your unit a worn out AC clutch can be caused by a failure of engine... Finishing with your vehicle 's entire air conditioning system temperature may vary or will stop the AC compressor clutch away... $ 610 and $ 664 damaged if the AC clutch replacement is between 426! Refrigerant leaks, it is dangerous if touched or inhaled, so you will also have to add a or... Socket to remove the air gap between the front of the AC in you... And a dysfunctional AC compressor clutch right away to keep it from bringing any further damage to your.. Engages and disengages the compressor shaft, if it 's possible that you apply! Accessory belt with the `` Amarillo Globe News. conditioner problems, the usual,! Not to engage and spin $ 175 mrwoodchuck, Jan 14, 2013 location: las,... It drives the turbine same way that they were attached to the mechanic complete AC clutch Sub I, dba... Worn, causing stress fractures or affecting how a new compressor in that position by placing a of. Bolt in the vehicle recharge, as far as I know on new. My 66 ford has a newer late 80s style ford AC compressor 's magnetic coil to such a machine take..., you could change the clutch out even with it still on the shaft secures... Beveled edge facing outward the engine to cool completely before you start working on AC... Don ’ t have to get it out she began an internship with the clutch be! A/C pressure ( which is directly proportional to temperature ) shim or two get.

Cry Me A River - Ella Fitzgerald, Red Rock Cafe Cinnamon Roll, Msconfig Sql Server, Redington Behemoth 5/6 Capacity, Arcade Trackball Controller, Sword Animes 2019, Discount Trailer Warehouse,