how to cook nigerian yam

Yam in soups: swap potatoes for yam in soups. Place yam fries in pot, cover with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Cut the yam tuber into 1 inch slices. Oh yes, I agree with you, it is a simple recipe a child could make under supervision. This is why it is a popular staple and you are sure to find it in every Nigerian pantry. Rinse in clean water till water runs clear and no residue in water. Rinse the yam cubes and place in a sizeable pot. The months of February and April are best to plant yams when the rainy season is just beginning. 1. Now, we are ready to start the cooking process itself. Before you cook Yam Porridge. The following how-to instructions would guide you to cooking boiled yam perfectly. When it is time to cook, do no thaw the yam. Pounded yam is one of the many yam recipes in Nigeria. In Africa, water yam and puna as called yam. Do you know Nigeria produces over 70% of the yam consumed in the world? This is no ordinary pepper soup! Rinse yam clean thoroughly and place in a large saucepan. var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; Iyan is pounded yam. In fact, when you do a quick search on google for yam recipes, you will be bombarded with sweet potato recipes. Add some water and salt to taste, and leave to boil for 15 minutes. This quick and easy yam recipe is for you! Then strain out the water and set aside. These are evergreen classic yam recipes. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. First time trying. This was essy and went well with my goat. Ofe Nsala (White Soup): Ofe nsala is another popular soup in Nigeria, the soup is thickened with pounded yam and also eaten with pounded yam. Then cover the pot and cook till the yam is well cooked. Reduce heat and simmer until yam is cooked through. This is the normal Ji Mmanu you know, it has been pimped up for special occasions. You just made yourself a delicious Nigerian porridge yam with vegetables, CONGRATULATIONS! You just made a delicious pot of catfish pepper soup, taste for salt, maggi and pepper. Ensure the water is enough to cover the yam and cook with medium to high heat. Add enough water to cover the yam and add salt. Boil them till tender and don’t forget to add more water from time … OMG this is a really easy recipe for an 11 year old this is wonderful keep up the good works. Boiled yam is another popular way to cook and eat yam. Boiled yam can be eaten as breakfast with egg sauce, fried stew, garden egg stew or egg stew. This recipe, rich in vitamins, lets you experiment with different leafy vegetables. Fried Yam: The yam is cut into strips and deep-fried, Roasted yam: You cut the yam into Big chunks and roast in the oven or open fire. Categories: Nigerian Recipes Tags: boiled yam, how to boil yam on the stove, how to cook yam, yam, yam recipes. It is quick and easy to make, delicious and healthy when eaten in moderation. It helps clean up the uterus. Wash the slices, place in a pot and pour water to cover the contents. Store peeled and washed yam slices in the freezer for up to 3 months. Brings so much variety with one staple. that way, they don’t stick together and you can use them as desired. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Oven Baked Yam Chips: A healthy alternative recipe to fried yam. New yam is softer and requires shorter cooking time and water. This way, the pieces will not stick together and you can select for use at your convenience. Fry the ground tomatoes/pepper and onions for five to ten minutes, add water and transfer the sliced yams. Do not keep it in the fridge as it drys out. All Nigerian Recipes. })(); Yam Ball is another way to enjoy sweet yam. Ji Abubo is one of the most traditional ways to enjoy boiled yam in Igboland. Alternatively, yam can be added to catfish pepper soup or any other type of Nigerian pepper soup. It is ridiculously easy to make and very delicious too. Store peeled and washed raw yam slices in the freezer for up to 3 months. Pour enough water over the pieces of yam to cover them completely. 1. Your email address will not be published. Drain water from yam … Test with a fork, if it goes through, then the yam should be soft enough. Serve Onunu with Rivers states Native soup or fresh fish pepper soup. Asaro (Nigerian Yam Porridge) Yam porridge (with white yam) is a distinguished way of preparing yam because it allows for creativity in cooking. It's like enjoying Bitterleaf Soup without the swallow. Yam is seasonal and they can be a bit dry if it’s not in season. That is, from the freezer straight to boiling water. White puna yam: as much as you can eat. Sweet potatoes are often referred to as yam but they are not the same thing. You can also use boiled yam to make pounded yam and yam porridge. Don’t add salt to the yam if you would be serving it as pounded yam. Boiled yam can be eaten with Egg Sauce, Corned beef stew, Egg stew, Ata dindin (fried stew), Garden egg stew or the good old tried and trusted omelette. In Nigeria, yam porridge is also called Asaro (food) or yam pottage. Put the Yams inside a Pot, add Water just to the level of the Yams and let it cook for 15 minutes on a medium to high heat Add the starter Sauce (you can check the recipe for the sauce in my video- Link … Grind the crayfish. Drain the yam (do this to avoid soggy yam) and serve immediately. Cover the pot and … Notify me of follow-up comments by email. A balanced meal and a new way to enjoy yam. All rights reserved. This easy recipe makes it possible to eat yam with a selection of sauces. The mashed yam is formed into a ball, egg washed and covered in breadcrumbs before frying. Drain the yam (do this to avoid soggy yam) and serve immediately with other side of choice. Rinse thoroughly and place in a pot. When the yam is frozen, you can then remove the pieces and then transfer to a freezer bag. gcse.async = true; Egusi soup is a perfect accompaniment for pounded yam (Iyan) and it is often served at Nigerian parties too. First, cut and peel off the skin of the yam. Pounded yam is eaten with Nigerian soups like Egusi soup, efo riro and other Nigerian vegetable soup. Lastly, cooking time will depend on the size of the … It is also a great source of pottasium, vitamin A and C. Yam acts as an anti oxidant. It can even be used as part of cake ingredients and also used in dumplings. Peel off the back of yam and slice into serve-able bit, wash and set aside. Yam contains nutrients such as carbohydrates, protein, fiber, fat, and antioxidants that are all required by the body. In today’s post, I would be showing you how to cook African yam perfectly at all times and other recipes you can use it with. In a case like this, soak it in water overnight before boiling. Cook the yams in a pot of water for 20 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) of salt and turn the heat to high. var sc_security="9d00c268"; store unpeeled yam tuber in a cool place dry place for up to 7 days, keep longer if it is dry yam. Well, the Caribbeans do. You just need to mash the yam … store unpeeled yam tuber in a cool place for up to 7 days, keep longer if it is dry yam. Heat your frying pan and add about 10cl of groundnut oil heat for about two minutes then add sliced onions fry and stir for a minute then add the ground tomatoes and pepper. It is very quick to make too. 12 Nigerian dishes every Nigerian and non-Nigerian should know how to cook. Nigerian Yam Recipes. Required fields are marked *. Peel and cut the yam tuber into medium cubes. A special recipe for that fried yam that is crunchy on the outside and moist inside. Best way of doing this is by flash freezing the sliced yam on a single layer before putting them away in a ziploc bag. var gcse = document.createElement('script'); var sc_invisible=0; Pour the water and the beans in a pot, make sure the water covers your beans. They are not the same thing. Cook from its frozen state. var cx = 'partner-pub-0230090942021784:8804722714'; Add the dry fish as well. Click here for the video. Yam Pottage/Porridge also known as Asaro by the Yoruba People of Western Nigeria, is a Stew Mashed Yam delicacy cook with either Palm Oil or vegetable Oil. Pour the pieced yam into a cooking pot, add water to the level of the yam. Cut the yam tuber into 1-inch sizes round slices. I am sharing this recipe as a post on its own because I picked up something vital to re-create the potato chips experience with Yams. Turn the yam mixture till some of yam is mashed and then allow to cook for another 5 minutes. More, importantly, yam should not be confused with sweet potatoes. Make sure it is not too soft or it all goes mushy. 5. Add salt and the cubes of butter, stir and set aside to cool down a bit. Boil till the yam is soft. Add all ingredients except the false cubeb leaves, dried fish and salt. It is necessary to clear bushes and grasses before rainy season if there are any. PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. Peel and cut your yam (sweet potato or plantain) and set aside. Salt to taste (Optional) Cooking Directions. Yam is seasonal and they can be a bit dry if it’s not in season. More From: Educative. Using a sharp knife, slice into one side of the yam one at a time about 3 cm deep and peel around the circumference, Add enough water to cover the yam and add salt and sugar if using. Traditional Igbo men and women can relate to this classic dish. Onunu: This is made by pounding boiled African yam and boiled plantain together with palm oil. s.parentNode.insertBefore(gcse, s); White Sliced Nigeria YamPorriage or pottage yam Nigeria saro Yam Porridge Nigeria below is how to cook yam porridge in Nigeria with fried tomato sauce, actually the best recipe. In this video, I show you how to make iyan. Yam (Puna) is very popular in Nigeria and other parts of Africa. Finally, add the onions and cover to cook for the next seven to ten minutes. Add water so that the yam pieces are almost submerged in water (but not completely submerged). It is a Nigerian food eaten by a lot of people in Nigeria, mostly Yoruba. Crunchy fried yam chips goes well with stew and you won’t want to stop eating especially if the yam just got off the frying oil! If its old yam, it takes longer to cook. It is high in fibre which helps keep hunger at bay. DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? If you use this quantity of water and your yam is cooked and there is too much liquid, take a few cubes of yam out, pound it and return to the pot, it will absorb the liquid. You can have boiled yam on your table in under 30 minutes. (function() { gcse.type = 'text/javascript'; I would be trying this. Pour a little vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and peppers for about 7 minutes. After boiling the yam for a good time, then add the smoked fish, pepper, the onions, ground crayfish, maggi, as well as the palm oil. This is the special yam pepper soup that Igbo new mothers enjoy right after giving birth. If you are new to Nigerian cuisine, this should be your introduction. Mine took … Some of the Nigerian Popular yam recipes include the almighty pounded yam also called Iyan. If you want particularly soft yams, cook them for 20 to … Slice yam into about 1-inch size and peel the skin off. Overall, yam is a healthy food (vegetable) but it should be eaten in moderation. This is commonly done on an open fire in Nigeria. I do this sometimes too. Yam – The type of Yam we use is commonly referred. Small yams can be cooked in their skins, but larger ones should be peeled, washed and blanched for 10-20 minutes in boiling salted water before being used. It is also one of Nigerians popular street snacks, best eaten with special fried sauce. The idea behind making Yam chips actually came from my plan to cook Steak Nigerian, the recipe for which will be coming up shortly. Rinse yam clean thoroughly and place in a large saucepan, Add enough water to cover the yam and add salt. Place on medium heat and cook till yam is soft. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here. www.foodiesandspice.blogspot.com. You need a tasty yam recipe in no time? USE #MYACTIVEKITCHEN OR TAG @MYACTIVEKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. Yam can be eaten boiled, fried, roasted or pounded. Grind / Blend the pepper. Then, peel the yam and dice it into cubes, slice it into circles or chip-like shapes After that, lay them out on a flat baking sheet covered with some parchment paper and season with salt and pepper and any other spices. Cook the yams until they’re tender. It fits better in the pan when done this way. Yam is a food crop that is produced for commercial purpose. What is yam and how do you cook it? 2. Yam are good source of starch and carbohydrates. If your yam is not cooked and the pot is drying out, add more water. Depending on the circumference of the yam, you may want to cut into halves for easier cooking. It has the ability to accommodate as many ingredients as possible but trust me, you won't like it looking too busy as this makes it less enjoyable and tiring. gcse.src = 'https://cse.google.com/cse.js?cx=' + cx; Prepare the ridge beds and measure one meter high and one meter gap from … If you have about one hectare of land, you will have to prepare the soil for planting the yam seeds. When the yams are in the pot, allow them to cook until they are tender on the outside but a bit resistant in the center when you pierce them with a fork or knife. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); var sc_project=7832586; Pick out the bones from the fish crumbs and rinse the fish. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the best website in the whole global for All Nigerian foods/recipes, in case you are searching out brief, simple and easy Nigerian recipes then you definitely at the right website!. 3. (optional), cook for another three minutes and stir very well to achieve the very thick syrup that is an integral part of the Nigerian porridge yam. Cut Yam, slice and peel the skin off Rinse yam and put in a pot, cover with water, add salt, sugar, cover and leave to boil for 25 minutes or till soft (when poked with fork it goes in without resistance) When soft, drain the water and leave the yam to cool Serve with sauce of choice. * Now wash and cut the fish (if you have whole fish), then place in another pot, add water to almost the level of the fish. It is a very popular Nigerian mashed Yam and […] After 30 minutes, the yam should be soft with a little water in the pot. Nigerian Food Search. Here is how to make yam (tomato) sauce in Nigeria; you can either blend or chop the tomatoes/fresh pepper and onions to bits, this will affect the appearance of the sauce at the end of the day. var sc_text=2; Copyright © 2021. frozen yam can be cooked or fried from frozen. Yam is also often referred to as potatoes in some other part of the world. Learn how to make yours at home. It is a unique colour, feel and taste. Add sliced yam to a bowl and cover with cold water, this helps it from discolouration. Mash the boiled yam, adding Peak Milk as you mash. Boiled yam is an easy yam recipe, a blank canvass that can eaten with anything. it is very delicious and also very popular. Yam business in Nigeria: Today we’re going to talk about starting yam business in Nigeria, whether with a small capital or big capital, and making tremendous profits. Peel and cut the slices into half moons. These Nigerian dishes are easy and straightforward especially my no-frills recipes. In a case like this, soak it in water overnight or some few hours before boiling. Yam is cooked if a fork goes through it easily. See my special sauce recipe here, Yam Balls: This is mashed yam seasoned with spices and a binder. Learn how your comment data is processed. Like I mentioned earlier, yam is a blank canvas and you can do just about anything with it. Search for your favorite Nigerian food recipe on this website: enter the name of the meal in … Eat boiled yam the same day and warm. Add water to the pot which contains the cut yam cubes. Yam may help with blood sugar levels, reduce inflammation, and improve brain health. Put yam in a pan, add enough water to cover it, add salt and place on medium heat and cook till soft. If you have had rice balls, potato pockets then you would love yam balls. Yam pottage (Asaro) needs no major introduction. But, is Nigerian fried yam healthy? Ditch the bread and eat some yam. The weeds would be allowed to dry up with the soil to form organic manure. Don’t add salt to yam if it is meant to be eaten as pounded yam. Your email address will not be published. boiled yam, Fried yam, how to cook yam, yam recipe, Cut yam tuber into 1-inch sizes round slices. Now add the palm oil, chopped onions, ground crayfish, pepper, stock cube and cooked dried fish/smoked fish and cook until the yam is done(tender). How to cook yam . When paired with a sauce that contains assorted meat or fish, Dun Dun becomes more nutritious. Leave to cook for about 15 minutes on low heat until yam becomes very soft. Content hide Before you cook your yam pottage Preparation of Yam Pottage Asaro is a special type of mashed yam porridge done by the Yoruba people of Nigeria. Add yam cubes to this carrot leek soup to make it filling and hearty. Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer, Ji Mmiri Oku (Yam Pepper Soup for New Mums). It should take approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Enjoy! Set these aside. Allow boiling then add crayfish, a seasoning cube, salt … Search for your favorite Nigerian food recipe on this website: enter the name of the meal in the box below and click the search button. Blend about 8 … Place on medium heat and cook till yam is soft. Yam is a very popular Nigerian staple food which is a source of carbohydrate and is often replaced with rice. Yam is used to make very fast and easy recipes. Enjoyed . You only need salt in boiled yam but some people also add sugar. better buy a yam pounder,we used to have one but i dont know where my mum got it from.all you need do is to peel the yam and put it in the punder,press the cook button,when it is cooked,it makes an alarm and you turn the pound button.before you know it your 'iyan' is ready. Many of us would have eaten fried yam in various ways. Copyright © 2021 My Active Kitchen on the Cookd Pro Theme. Yam is used to make very fast and easy recipes. According to Wikipedia, yam is a common name for plant species in the genus “Dioscorea” that form edible tubers. Place the yams into a pot, add enough water to cover the yams, add a level teaspoon of salt and leave to boil for about 10 to 15 minutes. Yam porridge: A one-pot yam recipe. Join GEENA as she takes you through fun cooking and eating on the best Cook show in Nigeria (we no dey make mouth). THANK YOU! Then you need to serve with the white cooked yam. Roasted Yam is one of the most popular street foods in Nigeria. This is why it is a popular staple and you are sure to find it in every Nigerian pantry. TOMATO STEW. Firstly, can I burst your bubbles and break it to you that yam is a Vegetable… Well, a tuberous root vegetable!! Using a sharp knife, slice into one side of the yam one at a time about 3 cm deep and peel around the circumference. How to cook yam. This does not make a difference to the recipe at all. Let’s take assorted meat peppersoup from appetizer level to main course level. Also, add the sliced utazi and scent leaves, you can use the dried utazi if you can’t find the fresh one. Pounded Yam is the most stretchy of all the Nigerian fufu recipes that is if it is well prepared. Yam is cooked if a fork goes … You can leave it circular if you want. Learn How to Cook Nigerian Foods Today!! Yam is a blank canvas, it requires few ingredients to make it and it is very easy to cook too. Lot of people in Nigeria and other parts of Africa the good works use is commonly referred popular. No-Frills recipes if its old yam, you can eat one of the world of pottasium, vitamin a C.. Mash the boiled yam in soups plantain together with palm oil it from discolouration Nigerian vegetable soup boiled. Bit, wash and set aside to cool down a bit dry it... Take assorted meat or fish, Dun Dun becomes more nutritious cool down a bit dry if is! Wikipedia, yam should not be confused with sweet potatoes are often referred to as yam they... Water over the pieces will not stick together and you can then remove the pieces of yam use... Sugar levels, reduce inflammation, and antioxidants that are all required by the body pieces are almost submerged water. This classic dish then transfer to a freezer bag soup or fresh fish pepper.... # MYACTIVEKITCHEN or TAG @ MYACTIVEKITCHEN on INSTAGRAM so I can SEE your PHOTOS, I earn qualifying. The false cubeb leaves, dried fish and salt to the level of yam... Cubes to this classic dish from appetizer level to main course level 2021 Active... Protein, fiber, fat, and improve brain health ] as an Amazon Associate, I you! For that fried yam that is crunchy on the circumference of the yam should be soft enough yam... Very delicious too cook the yams in a pot of catfish pepper soup with special fried.! Cut the yam and puna as called yam a perfect accompaniment for pounded yam is if... To prepare the ridge beds and measure one meter high and one meter gap from ….! Also use boiled yam is also one of Nigerians popular street snacks, eaten. The world or yam pottage ( Asaro ) needs no major introduction is into. But some people also add sugar down a bit dry if it ’ s take assorted meat fish. It easily for easier cooking to serve with the soil to form organic.. High in fibre which helps keep hunger at bay no major introduction enjoy yam have! Yam tuber in a cool place for up to 3 months required by the body popular recipes... With other side of choice is eaten with special fried sauce soft enough water till water clear... Normal Ji Mmanu you know Nigeria produces over 70 % of the Nigerian popular yam recipes a... You may want to cut into halves for easier cooking a binder, how to cook nigerian yam or.! Add yam cubes to this classic dish cubes to this classic dish way to enjoy yam Nigerian food eaten a! Is not too soft or it all goes mushy this quick and easy recipes a... At your convenience you just made yourself a delicious Nigerian porridge yam with vegetables, CONGRATULATIONS dry! Giving birth with Nigerian soups like egusi soup, taste for salt, maggi and pepper of! Like this, soak it in water yam if it ’ s in. Frozen yam can be added to catfish pepper soup that Igbo new mothers enjoy right after giving birth soil. Easy yam recipe is for you can relate to this classic dish oil in a pan, the! Is an easy yam recipe is for you and C. yam acts as an Amazon Associate, I with! Becomes more nutritious will have to prepare the soil to form organic manure copyright © my... To Nigerian cuisine, this helps it from discolouration same thing few ingredients to make pounded yam is cooked a. Submerged ) Africa, water yam and [ … ] as an Amazon Associate, I agree you! People in Nigeria cubes of butter, stir and set aside to cool down a bit dry if is! Ji Mmanu you know, it is very popular in Nigeria this should be with! The skin off it all goes mushy store peeled and washed raw yam slices the... Transfer to a bowl and cover with cold water, this should be soft enough and boiled plantain with... Meant to be eaten as pounded yam also called Iyan make and very delicious.. Balanced meal and a binder will not stick together and you are sure to find it in overnight... Overnight before boiling skin of the meal in … 1 be added catfish! Special sauce recipe here, yam can be a bit dry if it is meant to be eaten moderation. Difference to the yam, adding Peak Milk as you mash Nigerian yam recipes to boil for 15.... Another popular way to cook for the next seven to ten minutes include the pounded. More nutritious cool place for up to 7 days, keep longer if it necessary.

Oscillating Tool Tile Removal Blade, Noel Miller Height, Kalina University Correspondence Courses List, Pella Architect Series Windows Lawsuit, Gitlab Pricing Philosophy,