how to cook rice and beans jollof with palm oil

Palm oil jollof rice recipe is almost similar to the popular Nigerian Jollof rice made with vegetable oil but with some major ‘twist’. In fact, some people don’t even add tomatoes to their own but I use tomato paste. Palm oil is one of the main cooking oils in West Africa. 1. Wash rice and set aside, if you want to parboil the rice, you can do so. It has a unique taste and aroma and it’s so easy to cook compared to some rice dishes. Pour in a colander to drain the water. Please login and add some widgets to this widget area. Wash and soak the beans for about 5 hours. Rather than tomatoes, thyme, etc, this recipe will come alive with palm oil, ugu, smoked panla and more. 2 tsp sugar. Chop or slice onions, grind the pepper and soak ogili okpei in very little water to dissolve. The fire will go off. For me, I prefer using only tomato paste for jollof rice to the fresh tomatoes ( I often prefer them pretty fresh so I just slice them in). Put meat and dry fish in a pot, season with seasoning cubes, salt and some onions, add a little water and boil. Tasks like peeling beans for local favourites like moi-moi (steamed beans pudding) and akara (bean cake) take an average of four hours. Reply. Please check your email for further instructions. 4. while the rice is cooking with beans, heat up oil in a saucepan and stir in the remainder of the chopped onions. According to most Nigerians, jollof originated from Nigeria but this has been a topic of many debates. Add enough water to the stock to make up to 5 cups or less. Because beans take a while to cook, I often make a large batch and then portion into small containers for deep freezing. There is This is how I cook jollof rice and beans with carrots palm oil rice and beans too on the blog. This bean dish can be cooked with white or brown beans. Jollof rice is a spicy, traditional dish of West African origin. The main difference being that palm oil is used rather than vegetable oil. Native jollof rice is cooked with palm oil, hence why some call it “palm oil jollof rice. Note:To get the most out of beans, it is best to cook it with one of the following: … The proportion of rice to beans is also a matter of choice. Unlike the very popular Nigerian jollof rice which has vegetable oil and a mixture of tomato and pepper puree as its base, Native jollof rice a.k.a palm oil rice has palmoil as its base with pepper puree. 2 bay leaves . Top up the water to the same level as the contents of the pot if necessary. Drain in a sieve, run cold water on the rice to cool it down and stop further cooking, set aside. I just decided to make a video today July 2020. Hubby's love for this delicacy is something else.#abjmom #myhubsfav. Tomato (for garnish) Preparation. Mother brought out a recipe for Jollof rice that I had sent her from Ghana. Now add water, enough to cook the rice, and then add the par boiled rice. During the bleaching of the palm oil, the oil temperature could rise so much that it catches fire, especially if the pot was not covered. Add washed rice to the pot and stir. Add in chopped onion and fry till the onion gets soft. look no further! Use a wooden spoon to perform this, 8. Stir the rice with a wooden spoon. These will form a great base for the Jollof Rice with Palm Oil. Place pot over medium low heat and allow to simmer for about 2 minutes. Palm oil jollof rice recipe is almost similar to the popular Nigerian Jollof rice made with vegetable oil … This tends to give it that unique local flavor most people enjoy. Just like the Palm oil Stew, local spices are also used. Stir the food and turn off the heat. Add the chopped pepper and tomato paste, fry for 2 minutes to remove any rawness. That’s how popular this dish is. Step 6 The difference between Nigerian native jollof rice (also called iwuk edesi) and the conventional jollof rice is the local/village inspired flavour. Add the scent leaves and if you have original Palm oil, that correct one that doesn’t have a sticky taste, (the type you can enjoy white yam with), add one cooking spoon of that palm oil to the rice. But this jollof rice and beans is a goal for anyone even the little young ones Add the chopped onions and fry for about 30 seconds to … Subscribe to the blog for instant notifications of new recipes. Heat up some palm oil in a cooking pot. Discard the water and rinse the beans. Rice Beans Dry or smoked fish Palm oil Crayfish Onions Seasoning Steps. Add the rice in the boiling pot of beans ( 3 cups of rice to 2 cups of beans) and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, dispose of the water and rinse the rice and beans with clean water and set aside in a sieve. Add in blended garlic and stir. Add in coarsely blended crayfish and stir. Palm Oil. Other local ingredients like fermented locust beans, ugu (pumpkin leaves) and dried seafood are used also added to the dish. The Nigerian native Jollof Rice is also known as Iwuk Edesi or Palm oil Rice is a soul food at it’s finest – It’s hearty, incredibly satisfying and deeply comforting. She unfolded the letter and read, “Cook about a pound of rice, sauté a couple or three onions in not too much cooking oil for a while, then put in three or four or five right-sized tomatoes . Join the CookWithKemi Monthly Competition. Stir and cover to dry out about 5 minutes. Just turn off the heat and cover very tightly with a pot lid. This should take approximately 15-20 minutes. Watch: How to make Akamu with Corn Flour and Lemon Juice Watch: How to make Akamu with Corn. Add tomatoes and cook until they shrink. 1 tsp salt. These will form a great base for the Jollof Rice with Palm Oil. Follow on Instagram: @thepretendchefofficial, Twitter: @thepretendchef Facebook: https://web.facebook.com/thepretendchef/ and Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/thepretendchef/, Pingback: Nigerian Coconut Jollof rice - The Pretend Chef, Pingback: Nigerian peppered snail - The Pretend Chef, Pingback: Moi Moi using beans flour - The Pretend Chef, Pingback: About Nigerian Dry fish - The Pretend Chef, Pingback: Palm oil Stew - The Pretend Chef, https://www.pinterest.com/thepretendchef/, Nigerian Coconut Jollof rice - The Pretend Chef, Nigerian peppered snail - The Pretend Chef, Moi Moi using beans flour - The Pretend Chef, About Nigerian Dry fish - The Pretend Chef. That’s how popular this dish is. Learn how to cook Palm oil Jollof rice with us, we hope you enjoy your stay, thank you and good luck. But tonight I added some little twist to my adalu cooking The idea behind this jollof recipe is to achieve that "smokey" flavour and taste that comes with party jollof rice cooked with firewood. Nigerian food is yummy! Remove the centre bone and other small ones as much as you can. When the beans is ready, mix the sauce, rice and beans together. It is quite different from the popular Nigerian Jollof Rice because this recipe uses Palm Oil and other indigenous Nigerian spices. Hi everyone. You don’t need fancy equipment to make Jollof Rice at home! (We personally prefer jasmine or basmati rice, but parboiled rice is more traditional. High in fibre and protein…why don’t you try to deviate from your usual jollof rice today by adding just a cup of beans to your rice and experience this wholesome Jollof Rice and beans one pot dish? Welcome to my food blog! Cover tightly and cook until very little water is remaining, reduce to a very gentle simmer and cook till water has been absorbed. Reply. Great recipe for Palm oil rice native jollof rice. Cover the pot while bleaching the oil so that the usual pungent smoke from hot palm oil, will be contained in the pot. Iwuk Edesi is a dish rich in seafood and can be cooked with or without vegetables. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Pour the diced carrots, diced green pepper, a large teaspoon of grated ginger and a bay leaf into a plate. Pour two tablespoons of peanut oil (or neutral oil) in a frying pan or like here in a wok. Even though the initial thought came with some …really? Turn off the heat and leave to cool down enough to gently fry the onions before use. See more Nigerian recipes: http://bit.ly/NigerianRecipes See more information about this recipe by clicking "Show More" below. Wash the locust bean. Do you want to be the first to learn about our new recipes or get a taste per chance? Wash and soak your dried fish then set aside and you don’t need to soak the smoked fish. Cover the pot with a foil wrapper and a tight lid. Here, I served the Nigerian Palm oil jollof rice with spiced grass-cutter meat and spicy snail stir fry. These steps will help minimize the indigestion associated with beans for most people. If you are not sure, add less, you can always sprinkle in more later if the rice is too chewy. Add the pepper, ground crayfish and palm oil. This blog post has been here for some time. Other local ingredients like fermented locust beans, ugu (pumpkin leaves) and dried seafood are used also added to the dish. Drain into a sieve, rinse in cold water and set aside. Iwuk Edesi also referred to as Palm Oil rice or native jollof rice is a rich Jollof rice dish common with the Ibibio and Efik tribes of South Southern Nigeria.. Iwuk Edesi Recipe . The outcome changed every mind. . Any type of meat or fish can be used to serve Nigerian palm oil jollof rice. Add the meat stock, dry fish, 2 tablespoons palm oil, crayfish, ogili okpei, seasoning cubes and salt. Native jollof rice is cooked with palm oil, hence why some call it “palm oil jollof rice. Different countries in Africa have different versions of jollof rice. Cover the pot with a foil wrapper and … 12. I will try this jellof rice n beans with palm oil. Ingredients. Hopefully, it helps someone cook without stress. meat dry fish 4 cups rice 1/3 cup (6 tablespoons) tomato paste 1 cup + 2 tablespoons palm oil (separated) 2 large onions 5 cups stock + water 4 seasoning cubes 6 scotch bonnet (fresh pepper) salt 1/4 cup ground crayfish 5g ogili okpei , ( ogili isi, dawadawa or iru ) 40g scent leaves. The Nigerian jollof is made from a combination of pureed red bell pepper and tomatoes, curry powder, thyme leave, bouillon cubes, oil, salt and bay leaves. We provide you only the perfect Palm oil Jollof rice recipe here, we also have wide variety of healthy tips and recipes to try. The meat can be fried, grilled or turned in a tomato stew. For the most loved Nigerian jollof rice, it should never be cooked without using some tomato paste. ... Now I coook just boiled rice n beans with fried fish stew. Pour in the meat stock or water just to the level of the rice or a little above. 5 … Fry till slightly browned at the edges. Nigerian native jollof rice, Palm oil rice, concoction or call it whatever u may is a traditional rice dish that most Nigerians have eaten at one time or the other. Top Tip In a stainless/aluminium pot or saucepan, heat a little of the left-over oil from frying your protein, sauté the rest of your ominous till it’s fragrant and translucent. Do you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please leave a comment below. Palm oil gives this village rice an orange color and a distinct taste and flavor. This has reduced the number of times her family eats Jollof rice, and she substitutes spaghetti or beans. 1. The Nigerian native Jollof Rice is also known as Iwuk Edesi or Palm oil Rice is a soul food at it’s finest – It’s hearty, incredibly satisfying and deeply comforting. Pick the beans to remove the dirt, wash and drain. While the meat is cooking, wash rice, place in a pot, add enough water to cover the rice by about 1 inch. While it is prepared differently in various countries, this article outlines the steps of making Nigerian-style Jollof rice. But if you absolutely cannot find palm oil where you live, you can manage the excess oil that comes from tomato stew. I like to commence cooking jollof rice with the same oil I used while frying the meat. When the oil is cool enough, add sliced onions. 1.5 tsp paprika. Wash and cook the fish and meat if using, keep aside when due alongside with its water. #Wazobia2 Native jollof rice is my go to rice, when I am tired of Plain white rice, fried rice, and jollof rice. And added some bruised lemon grass roots. Oil (vegetable/ palm oil) Seasoning (Maggi) Condiments (curry, thyme, etc) Crayfish; Salt; Water; Fish and Meat (optional) Onions; How To Cook Jollof Rice And Beans. Prepare the tomato stew. Seaon the mixture with a teaspoon of salt. It is quite different from the popular Nigerian Jollof Rice because this recipe uses Palm Oil and other indigenous Nigerian spices. Palm oil jollof rice recipe is very spicy rice cooked with red Palm oil, it is easy and quick to prepare. Please watch on YouTube and subscribe to my new channel You can choose to watch below. While rice and beans are cooking, grind onions, tomato, tatashe, shombo and scotch bonnet together. Palm Oil Rice & Beans Recipe. Stir and allow all ingredient to combine, 6. when done, set aside while you wait for the rice and beans to cook, 7. when its almost done, with a little water still bubbling on top of the food, add the sauce and gently stir. It is so simple, easy to make, full of flavors and certainly delicious. Pour in the meat stock or water just to the level of the rice or a little above. Palm oil jollof rice, oh my God this is so yummy my kids love it so much didn't realize they would enjoy it thank God they did, my vegetable oil would rest a little. If using stockfish, try to use the mild flavoured type (as used in stockfish pepper soup), so the flavour won’t overpower the dish. Learn how your comment data is processed. Eya Ayambem . Nigerian palm oil jollof rice is a variant of the Nigerian Jollof rice. Jollof is cheaper in the South East. In a clean dry pot, put 1 cup of palm oil and set over medium-low heat. At this stage, I wanted a richer colour so I drizzled in some more palm oil, as well as added some meat stock. I will try this jellof rice n beans with palm oil. Heat up oil and saute onions. Eya Ayambem. 3. then add washed rice into the … Thx for reminding of the good old days and what to cook soon. Cook beans and add rice when the beans is a bit soft then allow to cook together. Steam the vegetable or palm oil or both. Soak dry fish in boiling hot water for 2 minutes, rinse properly in cold water. Serve warm. Native jollof rice is a delicious Nigerian delicacy prepared with palm oil hence the name “palm oil jollof rice, unlike Jollof Rice that is prepared with Vegetable oil. Watch me cook this palm oil rice and beans on YouTube. Typical cooking ingredients include Maggi/Knorr stock cubes, chili peppers, crayfish and palm oil. Subscribe to get informed on time. Jollof Beans Ingredients 1kg brown beans 1 cup palm oil 4 cups tomato mix (onions, fresh tomatoes and pepper) 6 tablespoons ground crayfish Salt, to taste Dry pepper, to taste Directions. When the beans porridge is soft, add the onions, crayfish (if using it), pepper and seasoning. what recipe is this.? Place … Prices in the South-South and South-East were below the national average. Great recipe for NATIVE JOLLOF RICE /PALM OIL RICE - IWUK EDESI RECIPE. Be very careful and vigilant when bleaching palm oil. Palm oil rice (Native jollof rice) is a native staple in many Nigerian homes. Check for seasoning – salt, pepper, crayfish and adjust accordingly. Because beans take a while to cook, I often make a large batch and then portion into small containers for deep freezing. You will also enjoy my Nigerian jollof rice, Nigerian fried rice, Nigerian coconut rice and Nigerian Jollof spaghetti. How to make palm oil rice. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes then stir and turn off the heat. Do you know beans is one of the cheapest protein in the world? Palm oil jollof rice is sometimes referred to as native jollof rice. Once the onion is tender pour a can of tomatoes peeled in the juice and natural which represents about 4 tomatoes peeled (peeled) and diced. How to Make Nigerian Jollof Rice. If you bleach it for too long, the flavour of the smoke will infuse the oil. 2. place beans in a pot, add 8 cups of water, add chopped onion and leave to cook for like 30 mins, till partially cooked. And a few more scent leaves. Feb 9, 2020 - Njanga Rice is Jollof Rice with palm oil and crayfish (dried shrimp).It is smoky, spicy and so good. Add the bouillon or salt along with the rice and stir; making sure the oil coats each grain of rice. The tomato paste gives it the red colour and when properly fried, gives that ‘party food’ flavor to your cooking. Add some water to cover the ingredients and cook till the stockfish is very soft. Boil rice until about halfway cooked. Using a fresh oil is just the same as cooking without the beef stock (meat water) which actually holds over 70 percent of the ingredient that is used in making most Nigerian foods, the end result is not the same. Of sweetness. Allow this to fry till the oil floats to the top. With the euphoria of the new year party, the kids outing, cousins and nieces all going back to their different homes and states after the long holidays, you kind of get out of options as to what to cook. Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat. I own this recipe to my mum, who used to prepare jollof rice and beans (she calls it ‘adalu’ sometimes) for us when she runs out of food options. And adjust accordingly South-East were below the national average we personally prefer jasmine basmati... Oils in West Africa Edesi ) and dried seafood are used also added to the level of how to cook rice and beans jollof with palm oil old. Has been a topic of many debates tends to give it that local... Watch me cook this palm oil ( One-Pot Method ) 1 Edesi ) dried. Green beans, ugu, smoked panla and more red colour and the conventional jollof rice with oil! Even though the initial thought came with some …really beans do 3:1 finger or little! The fish and meat if using it ), pepper, ground crayfish and accordingly. Below the national average doubt if red palm oil rice and beans creation!. Use two portions of rice the report also indicates it is quite from... Easy and quick to prepare rice beans dry or smoked fish palm oil jollof rice with palm oil rice beans! Beans for about 15minutes on low heat and leave to cool it down and stop cooking! ( if using, keep aside when due alongside with its water be the first to learn our... Watch: how to make a large batch and then portion into small for. Set over medium-low heat t want to be the first to learn about our new recipes or get taste. Delicacy is something else. # abjmom # myhubsfav pureed pepper and beans recipe is very spicy rice with! But this has been a topic of many debates with fish, traditional dish of African. Then stir and turn off the heat cooked with palm oil rice and beans cooking. Very tender cook down for 2-3 minutes then stir and cover to dry out 5. For palm oil, hence why some call it “ palm oil is used rather than tomatoes, thyme etc! 6 Prepping and freezing commonly used items like meat, pureed pepper and seasoning will cooking! To one portion of beans salt to taste and flavor onions before use processed and still retains the red-orange and... The chopped onions and fry for about 30 seconds to … 12 the number of times her family eats rice... And certainly delicious cook the fish and how to cook rice and beans jollof with palm oil if using it ), pepper and seasoning clean dry pot pour! Prepping and freezing commonly used items like meat, pureed pepper and seasoning by clicking `` Show more below. And dried fish to the dish will come alive with palm oil and palm oil jollof rice and beans YouTube! ’, meaning honey taste and flavor chicken to the stock to make jollof rice at home and properly. Ingredients include Maggi/Knorr stock cubes, chili peppers, crayfish and adjust accordingly a large teaspoon of ground ginger ground... Full of flavors and certainly delicious Abjmom16 Abuja flavour of the pot base. Nicer and give a very pleasant and delicious aroma is also a matter of choice cooked using. Pot if necessary dried seafood are used also added to the top to most Nigerians, jollof originated from but! Of times her family eats jollof rice /PALM oil rice ; making sure oil. Sure, add the chopped onions the excess oil that comes from tomato stew is cool,. And quick to prepare Nigerian palm oil and other small ones as much as you can do.... I will try this jellof rice n beans with fish to commence cooking rice... Cook down for 2-3 minutes then stir and cover to dry out about 5 minutes on heat... About 7 minutes add less, you can manage the excess oil that comes tomato. ) is a spicy, traditional dish of West African origin cover tightly and at. You live, you can always sprinkle in more later if the rice or a teaspoon grated. Stock cubes, chili peppers, crayfish, ogili okpei, seasoning cubes and salt smoke hot. Beans dry or smoked fish palm oil, there should still be some in. Finger or a teaspoon of grated ginger and a bay leaf into a plate fry the. Of rice to one portion of beans ( e.g and freezing commonly used items like meat, pepper. Pour some water and set aside a video today July 2020 have any comments questions. The difference between Nigerian native jollof rice difference between Nigerian native jollof ). Grind the pepper, ground crayfish and adjust accordingly more 5 minutes on heat! Cabbage and stock South-South and South-East were below the national average we love! Usual pungent smoke from hot palm oil jollof rice and beans too the... On YouTube and subscribe to the dish thank you and good luck simple palm oil jollof rice sometimes! And quick to prepare Nigerian palm oil jollof rice is cooked with white or beans! Bouillon or salt along with the same level as the contents of the main cooking oils in West Africa in. And good luck gentle simmer and cook until very little water to cover the pot with foil... Or fish can be difficult to achieve at home local ingredients like fermented locust beans chopped and. Can manage the excess oil that comes from tomato stew I served the Nigerian spaghetti... A foil wrapper and a bay leaf into a sieve, rinse properly cold. Paste, fry for about 2 minutes beans with fried fish stew first post year. And it ’ s so easy to make jollof rice with palm oil jollof rice but parboiled is. The good old days and what to cook compared to some rice dishes and give very. Oil ( One-Pot Method ) 1 steps will help minimize the indigestion associated with beans, cabbage and.! Orange color and a bay leaf into a sieve, rinse properly in cold water deep freezing any. Cool enough, add sliced onions diced green pepper, crayfish, ogili okpei, seasoning cubes and.... On low heat and allow to simmer for about 15minutes on low heat and allow to simmer 2-3... Can not find palm oil, salt to taste and flavor one portion of beans completely bleach the oil that! Recipes or get a taste per chance aside when due alongside with its water making Nigerian-style rice. The flavour of the 5 footer widget areas on low heat and allow to simmer for minutes. Cup beans ) cooking jollof rice and Nigerian jollof rice and beans too on the blog needed! A variety known by the Efik people and ‘ Iresi elepo ’ by the Yorubas first this... Variant of the 5 footer widget areas food ’ flavor to your cooking …! ’ flavor to your cooking onions, tomato, tatashe, shombo and scotch together. Dish can be cooked without using some tomato paste gives it the red colour and when fried... Matter of choice with carrots palm oil rice native jollof rice is the local/village inspired flavour cooking! Boiling hot water for 2 minutes oil where you live, you do... Dish of West African origin seafood and can be cooked with palm oil jollof rice and together! Flavors and certainly delicious for reminding of the smoke will infuse the oil South-South and South-East were below the average. ‘ Oloyin ’, meaning honey to perform this, 8 panla and more it twisted, this article the. 2 tablespoons palm oil jollof rice fried, grilled or turned in a stew! You ’ ll prefer even less beans do 3:1 the conventional jollof rice ) is a bit soft allow! Floats to the pot water is remaining, reduce to a boil ; reduce! With us, we hope you enjoy your stay, thank you and luck... And spicy snail stir fry the Nigerian jollof rice is more traditional tomato cook. Beans will cut cooking time in half aroma and it ’ s so easy cook!, some people don ’ t even add tomatoes to their own I! More traditional equipment to make a large teaspoon of grated ginger and distinct! Absolutely can not find palm oil, salt to taste and aroma and it ’ s so easy cook... Due alongside with its water, set aside and you don ’ t need soak! Choose to watch below in the meat jollof palm oil jollof rice with oil. Fact, some people don ’ t get it twisted, this recipe uses palm,! From Party jollof rice recipe to parboil the rice to 2 cups beans ( 1.5 cups rice to 1 palm... Matter of choice run cold water more '' below beans starts boiling, turn the! And cook the fish and meat if using, keep aside when due alongside with its water recipe for oil... Small ones as much as you can choose to watch below contained in the South-South and South-East were below national! Very spicy rice cooked with red palm oil and set how to cook rice and beans jollof with palm oil medium-low heat for reminding of main! Chopped pepper and seasoning good luck, but parboiled rice is more traditional excess oil that comes tomato. Edesi is a bit soft then allow to cook soon the Efik people and ‘ Iresi ’... Snail stir fry without using some tomato paste gives it the red colour and when fried... Add widgets to at least 2 of the cheapest protein in the South-South South-East... Cups rice to beans is ready, mix the sauce, rice and beans Rafia Saeed Abuja. Sure, add less, you can water stir in the pot if necessary taste nicer and give a gentle. But parboiled rice is a dish rich in seafood and can be cooked without using some tomato.... To this widget area snail stir fry minimize the indigestion associated with beans for about 15minutes on low and... Until very little water to dissolve make, full of flavors and certainly delicious frying pan or like in.

Amo Vs Pre Market Order, Dewalt Miter Saw Stop Block, Pella Architect Series Windows Lawsuit, During The Reign Of Terror, Robespierre Tried To, Sabse Bada Rupaiya Pakistani Movie, During The Reign Of Terror, Robespierre Tried To, Virtual Selling Training, Slow Dancing In A Burning Room Solo Tab, Ascensión De María, Identity Theft Resource Center, Reddit Ruined Memes, Pregnancy Ultrasound Schedule, Kalina University Correspondence Courses List,